and the collision of your kiss

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

my chemistry teacher

i just thought of something really random.

exactly 2 years ago, I was in the chemistry lab. It was the end of chemistry class and everyone was busy stuffing wet test tubes into their bags and packing chemical stained notes into their files. My chemistry teacher ( I can't remember for the life of me what his name is) was at the front of the lab, trying to stuff out brains with last minute information. After awhile, he realised that no one was really listening to him. So, to end off, he said:

"ok, happy valentines day. Don't worry if you have no one to spend valentines day with. No matter what, your chemistry notes will always be there for you. class dismissed."

That got everyone's attention and they giggled to themselves at the funny remark the teacher made.

I, on the other hand, felt uneasy. There in front of me was a man whose entire life consisted of chemistry. He breathed chemistry. He ate chemistry. He drank chemistry. He lived chemistry. At that moment, I imagined him as a teenager, bent over a poorly lit table that was sagging under the weight of chemistry books. I imagined him pouring information into his brain, and finally, at the stroke of midnight, he decides to call it a night. He goes to sleep with chemistry equations swimming in his brain, and a contented smile creeps onto his face.

This thought disturbed me alot.

In retrospect, I was making alot of assumptions. But what if what I had imagined was true? Wouldn't it be horribly sad?

1 Comments:

  • At 10:38 PM, Blogger Megan Chen said…

    LOL...I have had such feelings too! But it wasn't over a particular person - it just before the stroke of the new millenium, I was with my famiy and passed some Cambridge Uni colleges. For a fleeting moment wondered if there were any busy workaholics who didn't have family to celebrate the new year with. At that moment I felt extremely glad I had my family and friends around. *a provoking thought indeed*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home